Wednesday 3 March 2021

St David's Day

 While I was in Evandale, Pearl and Her Majesty notified me that St Davids was on Songs of Praise.  If you want to see my beautiful St Davids, here it is https://iview.abc.net.au/show/songs-of-praise-pembrokeshire-2019/video/ZW2252A001S00  I've got a feeling the link will disappear in about a month.  It's a re-run of a 2019 show, but St Davids is timeless.  I must admit it amused me that Katherine Jenkins didn't mention that you have to cross a military base to get to St Govan's Chapel.  It becomes a firing range when the flags are up.

I should, in fairness to Evandale, say that while I did not spend a lot of time at the market, I did wander the town.  It is very beautiful and I felt like being on the set of Pride and Prejudice - a feeling I get near the church in Port Eliott.

St Davids Day marks the first day of autumn in Australia.  It was more like winter here, with good rains, thunder and lightning.  Very exciting.

The garden's abundance is coming to an end,
though Steve's heritage tomatoes keep coming.
The pumpkin was grown by Rob of the Kelly Gang.  I gave him seeds of Turk's Turban pumpkins which I had bought because I've always wanted to grow them.  The seeds I planted came to nothing.  Rob managed to raise a couple and generously gave us one.  It is not as colourful as some I've seen (in books, and the Adelaide Botanical Gardens) but it is rather fascinating.  Will we eat it?

This somewhat marred photo shows a white heron if you look very carefully. This is the estaury at the end of our street.  I was returning from Orford Bird Sanctuary when I spotted the heron as I was nearing home.  The water is very high today.

1 comment:

  1. Yes... I can see the white heron (amidst the extra-terrestrial blobs)!!!!! Oh that pumpkin is marvellous and certainly lives up to its name. Let's know what the flavour is like. Your garden looks exuberantly fecund (is that a repetition?) but lovely to look at from my perspective because I've gone all clipped greenery and shrubs (though I'm tempted to sow a few poppies from the seeds I saved. And your St Davids is indeed stunningly beautiful. FF

    ReplyDelete