Saturday 1 May 2021

Big week in Bunna

Saturday saw a lovely Anzac Day service at the RSL grounds.  I was hovering in case I was needed to step forward with the book which the Suicide Prevention Network donates annually.  It wasn't the best spot for photographs but I had a good view of the floral tributes.
dignitaries and choir in the distance
Chris and Ian did the honours for Suicide Prevention Network


I took these photos the night before the much heralded Pink Moon.  It was such a perfect evening (apart from the pterodactyls flying around and the black moon).


I looked out for the Pink Moon the next night and scared myself stupid as a fire apparently broke out on the ridge line of the hills, silhouetting the trees black on orange.  I called out to Steve but then realised it was the rising moon - vibrant orange in our part of the world.
Thursday night saw one of the most moving community events I have ever witnessed.  Our doctor is leaving Triabunna - dodgy circumstances involving council.  There was a flyer in our letterbox urging people to line Melbourne Street to say a last goodbye to him as he and his staff left work.  Steve, Jill PD and I set off at the appointed time.  I thought we would stand a forlorn and lonely trio on the corner.  But no, the street was lined with people waving placards and balloons, all to say goodbye to the good doctor.  We have always thought he is an excellent GP but I had no inkling that he is so loved, or that he had so many patients.  I nearly cried.  On Friday I took Jill PD for a perambulation and noticed that some of the placards had made their way to the school fence.
The same walk had us checking out the wreaths layed on Anzac Day, just out of curiosity.  The native flowers are lasting well.
And then I noticed the sun through smoke.  Some burning-off somewhere, I presume.  Jill and I were walking the route we followed when The Gatehouse was our responsibility.  Jill took it all very seriously and obviously had a lot to check up on.

Another big day today.  Not just May Day and the Tasmanian Lower House election but also the re-opening of Chard, the gifts and homewares shop on Vicary Street.  Mrs O Henry, Her Majesty and I rendezvoused for a look-see.  None of us need a thing but Cheryl decks out the shop so stylishly and just about every female in Triabunna pays tribute, with many purchasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment