Wednesday 26 May 2021

thwarts and all

The good life continues despite set backs! 

Steve has learned how to use the ride-on mower at Georgia's place - seen here in the orchard area.

Last Wednesday His Majesty took the Miss Daisys on a road trip up one side of the Derwent and down the other, crossing at Meadow Bank Dam.  Spectacular, and places I had not been to for over 30 years, I reckon.  The photo above is supposed to spotlight the cute animals in the leadlight window but, of course, Her Majesty upstaged them.
We lunched in The Possum Shed on the Tyenna River.  I had a very healthy roast veg salad while others had sausage rolls and cake.  I loved the babbling river - not a sound I hear often.  It reminded me of the time Spanish Rose and I stayed in a hotel on the Usk just outside of Abergavenny.  We could breakfast and hear the river burbling over the pebble bed (see here for nostalgia hit).

Mrs O Henry and Her Majesty stretch their legs after lunch

The next day, I was preparing food with the school lunch crew.  While we were chatting about future menus
I noticed this rather cooking show tableau.

On Sunday I gathered celery, thyme and garlic from the garden to add to Steve's slow-cooking osso bucco.
Steve caught the ferry to Maria Island on Monday to look for buildings for the 2022 calendar.  Jill PD and I wandered down to meet the ferry on his return.

Marina looking south - mostly fishing and commercial

Marina looking north - yachts and some smaller fishing boats

The ferry hoves into sight

then does a tricky 180 to berth.

the artist emerges

On the home front, I am rethinking some of the magic squares.

Closest to the camera is a carefully curated square of ornamental kale, honesty, wall flowers, garlic and purple podded peas, mostly subterranean still.  Beyond the parsley border is the wild garden, ie self-sown with lettuce, rocket, leeks, orach, radish.  I've scattered cornflower and Welsh poppy seeds but they are so far invisible.   Beyond the marigold border there are still tomatoes.  I'm thinking of putting citrus in pots in this square - so far only the peripatetic cumquat cum guinea pig.
one of my favourite garden views

I think my favourite colour is that of apricot leaves in autumn.

I heard on the 5 o'clock news that the Tasman Highway is to be closed for a number of weeks for fear of falling rocks in the Paradise Gorge, ie we are to be cut off from Hobart while the rocks are removed.

Later Steve and I went to a community meeting under a full moon.  When I came out of the meeting, a half moon!  Very discombobulating.  An eclipse, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment