Monday 30 October 2017

bees love borage

There is no logic to the title.  When I was strolling around the garden some time today I noted how the borage was the busiest plant bee-wise.  And I had a busy week last week, hell-bent on pleasure, apart from a visit to the optometrist which was all good.  Though I've got to try to wear my sunglasses.
the orchard

there's self-sown cornflower seedlings in those pots

love this colour palette

garden bed destined for de-construction

irises and Solomon's seal 

I did the usual gym, zumba, yoga things and on Wednesday we had a big event.

I hadn't seen this film before but knew what it was about because when we first went to Griffith the  calendar of the strategically nude local men was the hot news.
It was a very well organised event and raised over $4500 for the Cancer Council. I brought my afternoon tea box home because I was a bit concerned about possible oat ingredients.  Steve and I had a very pleasant snack in our garden.


Some time during the week I made room in the raised garden beds for Steve to plant tomatoes.  By tradition, in Tasmania tomatoes should not be planted until after Hobart Show Day, which was Thursday.



On Friday, Nicki from the school and I picked broad beans, rhubarb and snow peas for the Gatehouse Stall.  We sold the beans and rhubarb immediately to some very impressed tourists.  I had to then replenish the stall because the Gatehouse architect was expected to visit on Saturday and had asked that there be produce available.  I trotted over early on Saturday morning because I was going to a workshop in Hobart but got waylaid by a lady and her granddaughter who wanted to know how much they should pay for the tomato plants and how to cook artichokes.



I put some beautiful smelling boronia in the building for the architect's benefit then hot footed it into town for the workshop on re-framing language for persuasive narratives.  On Sunday we had another Pop Up Book Stall, this time raising $1700 for the Orford School to buy cricket equipment.  It's exciting being with people and chatting about books.  Another lovely week.

2 comments:

  1. The workshop must have been effective because this was a very persuasive narrative! I have always loved Solomon's Seal but have never grown it though it would have done well at Glenfield. I hope there is still rhubarb available when I visit, but perhaps not. I wanted to reach in and take the stalks from the table. I have just read a book called The Writers Garden showing a range of famous people's gardens in England (Rudyard Kipling, Walter Scott, Virginia Woolf etc.).Your orchard reminded me of the orchards and walled gardens in this book - lawn not mown to death and gorgeous massed displays of cottage flowers. peeking out. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's not much fear of our lawn being mowed... And I'm sure there will be rhubarb. I must see if I can get that book from the library.
    See you soonish,
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete