Saturday 20 January 2018

Clafoutis

Yesterday at PUBS I told my companion-in-book-sales that I'd made a clafoutis last night.  'Is that like a faux pas?' she replied.  Which made me laugh.  'Clafoutis' has always seemed such a clumsy word to me.  It conjures up clubfeet and cleft palates.  When the Tour Down Under is on I think of the Tour de France and naturally that makes me think of clafoutis.  When plummy Poms are banished to France to live, travel and write cookery books, there's always a recipe for clafoutis.  I'm sure it's a provincial dish and not Parisienne.  Being a provincial sometimes Pom with a surplus of cherries I thought I'd have a go.
Not the prettiest thing I've ever made.  Looks a bit gravel rashy. Perhaps it needs to be cooked in an oven blackened skillet. It always looks so winsome in the accompanying little line drawings.

This little cutey is about to be returned to the PUBS for re-sale.  I couldn't resist a book written by Lady Fortescue and recommended by Kirkus.  It was written in 1935, in the days when it wasn't obligatory to include recipes.  It's the same old lark of living graciously while surrounded by funny little foreigners but Lady Fortescue does seem to be quite a Girl and there's a frisson cos we know that there's a war coming.  Lady F doesn't know and this book ends in 1937.  She has quite a following and now has her own website http://www.perfumefromprovence.com/ thanks to adoring fans.
I haven't investigated Kirkus yet. I did find this http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/learn-to-make-perfume-in-provence-an-idea-not-to-be-sniffed-at-552899.html . Perhaps one Easter for lovers of Chanel 5.


ps have now investigated Kirkus https://www.kirkusreviews.com/about/history/ .  Another Gal to know about.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love clafoutis. We were baked it for our breakfast at a B&B in Chinon!!! I have a recipe I often make because it is so easy.
    I must investigate Lady Fortescue - she seems to have much in common with the Floosie. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think she'll prove worth investigating. She has written other books covering the time after her husband's death and WW2.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete