Friday 26 January 2018

reduced to rhubarb

The fruit glut is over so I had to cook rhubarb to have with my yoghurt this morning.

During the week Steve, Pharaoh Dog and I went for a drive so Steve could show me the beautiful road from Buckland to Campania - a circuitous way to get to Sorell.  We investigated an apricot and cherry farm.  I had a cherry icecream which was a bit watery but Steve pronounced his apricot icecream the best icecream he'd ever eaten.
On the way home we tracked down a house that Steve had spotted distantly from the highway and wanted to photograph to paint later.
Shades of the Arbiters of Taste days.  I sat primly in the car, not having been given the license, granted to Steve, to roam around and take photos.  But you get the idea.  It's in the Orielton area and I wonder if it was connected to Edward Lord - for those of  you aware of the chap.



Meanwhile in my unwatered garden the hollyhocks are mutating and appear to be bonsai'd but the seaholly is going great guns.
I keep meaning to share with you this lovely image I came across in The Anthologist book I was reading:


When the War is over and the sword at last we sheathe,
I'm going to keep a jelly-fish and listen to it breathe.


It's from an AA Milne poem, 'From a Full Heart'.  I've finished the book by Nicholson Baker.  I wouldn't rush out to buy it but I am keeping it to re-read because it is thought provoking.  I'm currently re-reading the Sue Grafton alphabet series.  Two friends and I decided we were going to read them in order from 'A is for Alibi' through to 'Z is for Zero' but sadly Sue Grafton died recently and Z may never be published.  I've just finished 'F is for Fugitive' but have to hunt down G and H before I can continue this noble quest.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who adores rhubarb (but has to pay exorbitantly for it at the supermarket so hardly ever buy it,) I take offence at your throwaway comment about having to cook rhubarb for your breakfast (that is, I assume it is your homegrown product, otherwise I withdraw my tasteless remark). Would have liked to have seen more of the house!!!! Love the seaholly.
    I have read all of the Alphabet series but sadly, they deteriorated in quality and the last few were woeful. But you have only started so plunge in and enjoy them. (Janet Evanovich did a number series but I flagged at about Fearless Fourteen.) FF

    ReplyDelete