Sunday 10 May 2020

Mother's Day ramble

I was torn between blogging or painting my toenails.  My toenails are breathing a sigh of relief.  First of all, I hope you're all having the Mother's Day of  your dreams.  Jill PD and I went for a ramble this morning.  The Gatehouse is not currently open, but Jill and I often still walk that way in the mornings.
Yesterday and today there are interesting fungi
which Jill blithely kicks over while I'm trying to photo them.

The Gatehouse gardens are looking most luxuriant.  I have been asked to do some gardening there while I am otherwise unemployed.  I love the Kangaroo Grass in the foreground and am trying to get it to take over patches of my garden.

On the way home, I could smell the Daphne in the school grounds
and somehow took this picture without realising.  Some of you will recognise the service station and Eiffel Tower.

Back home, I thought I should show the Floosie that the myrtle is a tree
and the berries look a little like olives.  I use them instead of juniper berries when I'm cooking venison, ie not very often.

I have had this book in my car for ages for emergencies like getting stuck in traffic jams.  I've had a soft spot for this story because it's the one where James Bond gets married, and in the film he married Diana Rigg, ie Emma Peel my childhood role model.  The chances of traffic jams are pretty remote at the moment so I thought I would read it to delay the reading of Poldark which I had with me in quarantine.  I am reluctant to start it because I have 5 of the series and know I won't be able to stop once I start.
Of course, a 10c book takes no time to read and fortunately Her Majesty (of Tribes) loaned me this one on loan from her sister and bought at full price.  But well worth it, from my perspective.  So I've had a lovely, and unearned, Mother's Day reading about places I know and love.  It's a ripping yarn so far.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the myrtle berries could be used to make a robust gin??????
    And is the book about Bruny Island? Hope there's not a murder there as it is one of my favourite places. Abd I can smell the daphne from here. What a lovely ramble you had today. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some Spring Bay gin - I could steep some myrtle berries in there and see what happens.
    The book is about Bruny: some time in the future when the cable car up Mt Wellington / kunyani has been built and a 6 lane bridge is being built from Tinderbox to Bruny Island. So far, it is compelling reading.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete