Tuesday 12 May 2020

when the road is a friend

Monday I returned to work at The Gatehouse - currently as the gardener.

I only work an hour at a time, so then was off to a friend's house for tai chi.  I have always loved this pathway leading from Melbourne Street to the back of the pub.  This tree looks Japanesey to me
and I stopped to take a closer look.

The mulberry tree behind the Spring Bay Hotel has split but looks as though it will survive - half of it, at least.

After a restorative (and covid compliant) tai chi, I happened to notice the Fish Van was open so partook of flake and chips for lunch just to stimulate the local economy.

Later that same day I went to the Poshest Shed in Triabunna for afternoon tea with Anne.  Fortunately she gave me some figs to take home so I could break my hi-carb diet.

On Tuesday I drove north a little way to look at a house that I have always loved and that has just been sold.  The 'Sold' sign is not yet up so I thought it was probably ok to sneak in and have a surreptitious look around the garden.



The sound of the waves breaking on the beach was hypnotic.
It wasn't until I saw this photo, enlarged for the blog, that I realised the house reminds me of the ill-fated (for us) house on Delta Road, Curlwaa - my Orange Grove that was not to be.
The owner of this house went for a protea grove.  Gardens which have been loved and left make me wistful.
The house is on the highway and tantalisingly glimpsed as you zoom past in the car on the way to Swansea.  But this time I parked up the road, walked back and, ridiculously, it was like walking the road to Caerfai.

1 comment:

  1. You look every inch the gardener in your outfit there!
    Oh the poor mulbery tree, but at least half of it is still there. Those figs look deliious. Maybe a fig and almond tart??? And oh - I LOVE the sold house. Not on the highway, though I love the idea of being near a track that leads to the water. Keep the photos coming. I feel as if I am there with you. My current blog is still being wwritten. FF

    ReplyDelete