Thursday 7 May 2020

Sunday 26/4 - Freedom

Of course I was dressed, breakfasted, cleaned-up and had done the final packing by 8am, so gingerly stepped outside.  It has occurred to me since that I may have been able to emerge at midnight and gone for a stroll.  At last I could see where I was.  The Stables!  I chatted to the security guard - there was one on duty 24/7, and then to one of the chefs / cooks who I think is part of the family business and lives on the premises somewhere above my room.  Gradually other quarantinees gathered so I took the opportunity to explore a little further.
Unbeknownst to me, I'd been living in the stables - and Ye Olde Worlde what's more.
The building with the red brick wall houses a gym and carpark.

My theory had been that the hotel had formerly been a bank,
but I hadn't realised how large it is - or that it had stables.
It's all rather gorgeous.
In fact it is grand, with a billiard room.

And my Stables are attached to this intriguing building.

Over the road is the James Boag's Brewery.
Who knew?

This was all revelatory stuff to me.  I knew I was in Room 42, The Grand Hotel but that was it.  I definitely want to stay there again when it's possible to travel.  It will be a great place from which to explore Launceston.  Though I'm sure the streets will never again be as empty as they were that early Covid 19 morning of the Sunday after Anzac Day.  https://thegrandhotellaunceston.com.au/   Adventure awaits.

The bus turned up and we clambered aboard.  We had to pick up a passenger at the Grand Chancellor and another at some retirement home near the Country Club.  Neither of them was ready, which was a little annoying.  Then we were on the open road travelling north to Devonport to pick up our cars.  Again it was a beautiful trip in the bus, with the added advantage of knowing I would be driving it again, but southerly, in a little while and could look out for the cheapest petrol.

Little Azaria aka The River Rat was waiting patiently for me.  I decided to eat the chocolates at home, was relieved when the car started first time and was out of the blocks to be the first to check out with security and pick up my luggage from the bus.  Yippeeeeeee homeward bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment