Sunday 4 October 2020

a weekend for reading

I haven't been reading much lately.  Not quite sure why.  I had to take Mists of Avalon back to the library only 1/5 read.  Couldn't extend it because someone has a 'hold' on it.  The Land Girls book caught my eye at the library.  I've always thought I'd make a good Land Army candidate.  We had lovely, gentle, nurturing rain all weekend so I curled up and read the whole book.  It was an unexpected delight, and not just because of the fabulous knitwear on the cover.  The storyline was very predictable but took place in many places I knew: Adelaide, Adelaide Hills, Port Noarlunga, Mildura.  Also Melbourne and Batlow but I'm not so familiar with them.

I did venture out to The Village to look at The Other Exhibition, ie not Steve's, but a display of what people have been creating during the Covid isolation.

I was particularly drawn to these.  The wall-hanging is by Fiona who you saw last post in a small wooden boat.  I don't know the creator of the red paper dress and masks.
This mask I find both beautiful and terrifying.

This is my favourite piece - mainly because it was so unexpected.  It's a catchy slogan that I had not seen before.
Of course, Jill PD and I had to do a couple of turns around the garden.  The quince tree is an absolute joy.  The plan is for it to replace the red umbrella in a year or so.
And then there are the lily of the valley.  A long held dream and fascinating to watch unfurl.

the artichokes are doing their thing

the wild experimentation in the garden shed continues

1 comment:

  1. I loved the red dress made of paper!!! The mask was better than Steve's (yours) socks I must say. My previous comment mentioned your fruit trees, and now you dangle a quince before mine eyes!!!!! I think Stephanie Alexander has some quince recipes in one of her books. Quince paste???? I have never had lily-of-the-valley. You have quite a number here. I wish I could smell them. And the potting shed photo looks like something out of the English 'Country Life' magazine. Kate told me to get seeds of cosmos and borage. I did - not many in a packet; I flung the cosmos haphazardly and will hope for the best, but planted the borage in a pot. Have you ever had borage for the bees? FF

    ReplyDelete