Friday 23 October 2020

Catch up, again

Thursday before last I caught the bus into Hobart.  I've been wanting to do this for a while.  It was a pleasure talking with a white horse and waving to Mr O'Henry and Jazz while waiting for the bus.  One of the reasons I wanted to travel this way was to not have to drive and to be up high so I could have a good look around.  I was particularly interested to see the native vegetation patterns close-up, something you can't really do when you're driving...  Very educational it was, and I arrived in Hobart itching to get home and start gardening.  Fortunately I'd promised myself a pain au chocolat and sushi, delights not available in Triabunna, so I managed to while away the 4 hours until the return bus.  I had a lovely time avoiding the main shopping drag and visiting the quirky little places I love.

yarn bombing seems to be having a renaissance in Hobart

On the bus on the way home, I saw the statues of Mawson's sled dogs wearing colourful woolen coats, but too late to take a photo.

Getting home, I was greeted with another of Judy F's sponges - most welcome after 1.5 hours return on the bus.  How the school kids do the trip twice a day is beyond me.
Can't remember the weekend, probably garden, garden, garden.  Sunday was the Village Market, including a British Car Rally.  I put in an appearance because Steve txt me to say it was the best Triabunna market ever, and I agree.  So many of my friends are there with stalls showing off their arts and crafts, it's like a party.  Naturally I didn't buy anything, but someone did give me $24 donation for the Suicide Prevention Network.
Monday I had the Breakfast Program at school, then stayed on to help with the Lunch Program.  Again, it's like a party with people I really like and admire, plus the kids get really good food - lasagne and salad, followed by baked apple and pear with yoghurt.  And they loved it.
Tuesday turned out to be frantic, starting with zumba and coffee which was the relaxing bit.  In the afternoon I had to fit in picking my bicycle up from a service, going to the library, cleaning the house a bit but particularly the bathroom for a builder to have a look at, and a webinar at 5pm.  Bruce, who runs the bike hire on Maria Island, is very impressed with my bike.  Remember Lauren?  The Bacall bicycle from Malvern Star?  Turns out she's vintage and a collectors' item, particularly if you also have the Bogart Men's Bicycle which I don't.  I promised Bruce, who is rather bike mad, to practise using my new bike pump on an old inner tube, plus executing smooth gear changes.  But time has not permitted so far.

platinum morning at Raspins Beach
Wednesday was School Sports Carnival, so no lunch to be prepared.  This gave me the chance to join the Orford Community Group planting out at Raspins Beach.  The plants, all native pigface, were grown at the Spring Bay Mill by the Pulchella Community Nursery LandCare Group - the plan is coming together.
I went home to enjoy my First Weekend (Wednesday afternoon and Thursday) but got a call from Amanda to say some council indoor staff were going to plant marigolds in the Vertical Garden.  I hot-footed it over there (ie over the road) and helped fill the containers with new soil.  Personally, I'm not too keen on petunias, pansies and marigolds in this space but I know lots of community members who'll love them.

and here's the Flying Pig and cyclamens in the space of the former carport,
there's some re-thinking going on around here
So, lots happening but not many photos.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. When do you have time to breathe!!!! I'm totally exhausted just reading about your activities and goings-on. What an incredibly full life - much better of course than sitting around listless and bored. It is the antithesis of my retired life which consists of reading, going to the library, yoga, a social walk with friends, history work sitting at a computer, editing a book at a computer, and gardening for an hour at a time only. But I feel that Triabunna has brought out your inner reserve of joi-de-vivre. Oh I love that sponge. I had a Malvern Star when I was young, Post pic next time of yours. FF

    ReplyDelete