Wednesday 21 October 2020

Bird week

Bird Week is actually this week and these photos were taken last week, however it's been busy and I'm tired and devoid of ideas for meaningful blog post names.

So I named this post after the first photo.  Last week I set out to photograph my garden within an inch of its life to show you what's happening but then realised that may be a little dull for you, though wildly exciting for me.  I took this photo of a starling who was waiting for me to go away so she can nip into the roof of a cabin in the caravan park to feed her noisy chicks.
I have deleted a number of the photos and thought I would just show you how The Magic Squares are coming along.  This one is lying fallow waiting for Steve's tomatoes (which have since been planted).  The back drop is self-sown and I watch with interest.  Next to this square is
the pea plot, hopefully nitrogenating the soil for the next crop.  I also have leeks, miner's lettuce and corn salad in here.
The adjacent square lies fallow, though bordered on 2 sides by self-sown parsley and a cuppla poppies.
Next to this is the broad bean square, again hopefully nitrogenating furiously.

On the Monday we went en famille to Rosny Park to try to disentangle our building modifications' debacle.  Some progress was made.  En route we stopped at Seven Mile Beach so Jilly could have a romp before we did battle at Rosny.
As you can imagine, Jill PD was delighted by the doginess of the beach
and I am pleased to show you a beach without Maria Island in the background.
We all had a lovely time until Jill had a battle with a blue heeler and his mate.  Jill is definitely a lover not a fighter.  Having extricated ourselves unscathed we returned through the sand hills to the car.
This was a very good lesson for me.  Here is the native pig-face growing in sand.  No wonder it is struggling in my garden.
Likewise the native pelargonium.  I have it planted in a far too shady and damp spot.

After a very good but totally overloading meeting with  a building surveyor, we scurried back to Tribes
stopping at the Bushland Garden near Buckland to look at the new sculptures and be soothed by the waterfall.

1 comment:

  1. I am in awe of your organic gardening. It must feel great to have so much space to indulge. After our enormous zucchini and tomato crops in Portland we have abandoned vege growing so I am vicariously enjoying your plantings. We used to love the wide expanse and seemingly endless Seven Mile Beach. A lovely part of the world. The bushland garden at Buckland looks peaceful though with quite a dramatic setting. Tell me more about it; I am pretty sure it wasn't established in 'my' day. FF

    ReplyDelete