Saturday 17 October 2020

Harbingers (from the week before last...)

It usually rains once the tamarisk is in its fully glory.  And rain it did, though somehow the flowers dried out and resumed their fluffiness.
I read Steve's Scorpio horoscope on Wednesday.  It more or less said 'If you think things are bad, they are going to get a lot worse'.  How do the stars know?  Firstly we had the news that things we thought our builder was doing re our building modifications had not been done, and that he is retiring!  Because we believed work was to begin in mid-October, Steve had organised for the demolition of the carport.
The chaps came on Friday evening and I must admit I rather liked the results.
rather a good look

They returned on Saturday with machines, and worked furiously.  It is disconcerting to see blokes standing outside the kitchen window.  I stayed well away in the garden so as not to give way to my control freak tendencies.  Steve reported to me that the carport was going to be a little bigger than expected...
Once they had driven away, I checked it out.  My cursing and raging rang through Triabunna, and possibly further.  The carport was going to go across out north-facing windows and block out all the sunshine which makes the house perfect all year round.  My wrath rained down on Steve, who was visibly shaken on many accounts.  I calmed down after about an hour and apologised.  We had a group sob in the laundry.

To further reconcile (and possibly build bridges) we drove to Orford to see where the bridge had been washed away in the heavy rains, and replaced in super quick time by a temporary one-lane affair.  We also had a calming ice-cream at the Fish Van.

Fortunately the Silver Princess allows calming contemplation.

1 comment:

  1. The tamarisk is absolutely beautiful. What a bounty of blooms - floaty and pretty. Not so the BB when faced with carport misadventures. Hmmm. Did you not see the plans? Can it be changed so you can have the sunlight back? Why do you need such a large carport? I can see why the Silver Princess provides some solace. An icecream from a Fish Van seemed a bit incongruous and made me remember a phrase that Steve (mine) used to use that he picked up years and years ago from a Mad magazine: tuna-flavoured icecream. Hope yours was more delectable.FF

    ReplyDelete