Monday 6 February 2017

a new adventure

You may recall some time ago I blogged about kefir .  Recently the Very Kind Bean sent me some information which is rather fascinating and has me thinking about the possibility of making cheese again. In essence, you can add kefir to pasteurised milk virtually un-pasteurising it.  But this is not the current the adventure.
Lynn the Hairdresser told me about water kefir and gave me some to try.  It's rather nice, vaguely like a gentle ginger beer.  Today I made my first batch.
I only made a cup cos you have to experiment with it until it suits.  It uses different 'granules' to the milk kefir, and you can muck around with different sugars (to feed the yeast-like granules), dried fruits and acid makers.  Lynn generously gave me the re-sealable beer bottle and some molasses.  I have used a lemon wedge for acidity so now, it being after 5pm, I can have a Cointreau and lemon with the remains.

1 comment:

  1. Cointreau and lemon today, ginger beer tomorrow. You are a spoilt beastie! Enjoy. I have just made it through the washing-up with the aid of some liqueur muscat. How did scullery maids survive without such revitalisers? Life's little mysteries.

    ReplyDelete