Saturday 4 February 2017

My Home in Tasmania

In the absence of birthdays, today was given to culture
and memories.  Liz was a driving force in the republishing by the Glamorgan Spring Bay Historical Society of Louisa Anne Meredith's book about this area.
The event was held at Twamley where Louisa lived for 5 years before moving to Malunnah in Orford.  I think I've got this right.  I'm remembering from my trip to the History Room in Swansea a few weeks ago.
The readings and cello playing took place under the canopy of a huge oak.  Louisa herself made a ghostly chauffeur driven appearance
then wafted into the homestead
bestowing herbs upon chosen members of the audience one of whom I was not.  Curiously the Deep South Male Choir stepped forward,
possibly mistaking the oak tree for a magnolia.  They sang acapella as well as looking very dapper. Of course the Treorchy Male Voice Choir (catch them here to hear them sing my song and emerge, Beatle-like, in Treorchy.  Somewhere in there is a cousin or two.) came to my mind and I was lost in a little reverie, especially when they sang some songs my Dad used to sing.
I resisted the wine, lemon squash, cake platters, tea, coffee etc.  I got talked into joining the Suicide Prevention Group and the next Pop Up Book Stall weekend.  I also talked to a man who was born at Wielangta and grew up there, which was a bit of a coincidence after last weekend's adventure.
Here's a bit more of the Twamley Farm for you.

2 comments:

  1. How absolutely divine. You have so much culture in your little corner of the world!!! Thank you for sharing it. I have both of Louisa Meredith's books, though one has gone awol in the move but will turn up in time I'm sure. I have never been to the farm, though am familiar with all the other places she lived on the east coast. I even based the embroidery on one of my cushions on one of her drawings of native plants (that was when I was in my embroidery phase). The male choir must have been lovely. I listened to the Treorchy Choir - so stirring. Kate and I once went to a concert by the Melbourne Welsh Choir when they sang World War 1 songs that brought us to tears. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would have been lovely to have you to go with. Twamley Farm is owned by one of the women who works at Council so it is, perhaps, a little inbred. I think they offer Farmstay or similar - must check that out.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete