Friday 7 December 2018

The Next Adventure

The garden, of course.  I worked on Mum's garden while in Adelaide but only to try to control it so that it looked good from the windows.  Despite having those beautiful wooden ramps, Mum does not venture into the garden these days.  I found some lovely gardening books at the Payneham Library.


The others were lovely to look at, and I did enjoy reading Gertrude Jekyll's garden philosophy (you now know where Gertrude Eccle Jekyll-Leopard got her name), but Gardenista is an absolute gem.

But back to real life.

I love the look of the nigella and it hides the overgrown grasses.  But I know they're there.
A pretty mead but in much need of attention.  Cornflowers and cosmos coming on in pots.
This is a new bit which I put in hastily before I left because I want a continous theme along this fencing.  It certainly worked.  The red poppies are supposed to be blousily petalled pink.  The nigella and parsley are uninvited but welcome.
The potted fig is accompanied by self-sown nigella and sea holly.  Cumquat almost discernable to the right through grasses.  All a bit wan.
This bit of the garden manages itself very well.
Another wan bit.  The elderberry plant and more nigella.
Steve's Golden Delicious.
My Cox's Orange Pippin.
Steve's current seat in the orchard.
Self-sown lily thing.  Not my favourite sort of plant.
Dietes flowering after soldiering on for four years!
And what makes it so worthwhile.  The allure of the afternoon sun through petals.

2 comments:

  1. The garden is looking very meadow-ish - absolutely beautiful. I think you should have some larkspur. Mine are glorious and give height and a brilliant blue colour. Looking forward to some figs when I next visit. I have ordered Gardenista from the library. Love the delicate final photo. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I may indulge in some larkspur. But I'm hoping to blog some height and a brilliant blue colour very soon. Spent all day pulling up grasses and am absolutely whacked without very much to show for it, except that the lemon, fig and pomegranate are visible now. What a feast we'll have if it all comes together!
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete