Sunday 30 December 2018

In the pink

Here's the dish after I put the beetroot jam in the compost.  I just happened to note how it toned with the new microcloth, and I felt much perkier.  I have failed in the cooking department - no-one liked my rhubarb chutney or cumquats.  Georgia said the pastry on the bought (admittedly from the baker at the pub) mincepies was better than my 'Good Shortcrust' made at dawn from a recipe of Mrs Goggins of  Bothwell.  But George preferred my filling.  Which was hurtful given it came straight from the Robertson jar.

I have been struggling to read this book over Christmas:
I thought it would be the perfect Christmas read but found the humour too heavy handed.  I did feel a bond with the main protagonist who jauntily creates dishes like Garlic and Fernet Branca Ice-cream, Otter with Lobster Sauce, Rabbit in Cep Custard, and Lychees on Toast.

So, back to my colour observations.  Perfectly pitched polish from the Floosie.

Gold Bunny rose, microfibre cloth and compost bucket.

I have at last managed to have poppies and cornflowers flowering at the same time.

Two of you may recognise this small recycling project completed before Christmas.  The bambi teatowel from Curly Tree (formerly River Bank) in Wentworth was a present from Sandrine a cuppla years ago.  Just visible is the backing:  a dotty piece of material from then Southern Belle (now Fleurieu Floosie) which became a sarong and then a table cloth for the outside table at River Bank.
They've come together to make a cushion cover much admired by Gertrude Jekyll Eccle Leopard.
I think my New Year Resolution is to stop trying to be a cook and stick to gardening and household projects.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love the sarong/tablecloth/cushion. Who knew such versatility.
    I sympathise re cooking. My meringue was too dry this year, the fridge crisper has broken so the crisp greens were found on Christmas day to be limp and gooey, while the cranberry muffins (a previously much looked forward to tradition on Christmas morning) were floury, dry and needed a cup of tea to digest them (or a sparkling proscetto as I discovered) . But I am not deterred. Down, but not out. Will redefine the Christmas menu next year. Loved all the colours!!!! FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way or the other you contributed to most of the photographs. Thank you!!!
    You may struggle womanfully with your cooking but I am bowing out. You have a long list of credits to your name, especially eccles... Hope you noticed they have been memorialised in Gertrude's full name.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete